While much of the workforce has moved to remote working, essential businesses have staff who must continue to report to work. To keep your staff safe it is important you follow a standardized cleaning regimen. For many offices, the copier is the heart of the workplace, and lots of hands touch it daily. Printers, digital whiteboards, and other office tech can also be hot spots for human contact. Here are recommendations for keeping your technology clean and your employees protected:
- Use Diluted Alcohol. The CDC advises using a cleaning solution that is at least 70% isopropyl alcohol (30% water).
- Wear Gloves. Disposable latex or nitrile gloves should be worn when disinfecting surfaces.
- Power Down. Make sure you turn your machines off and disconnect them from the power source.
- Use Microfiber. Moisten, don’t soak, a microfiber with the alcohol mixture. Do not spray your machines. Do not use paper towels or tissues.
- Start at the top. For your copier (MFP) and printers, begin at the control panel and wipe the entire machine, including cables. When cleaning display screens, wipe in one direction.
- Cleaning Glass. After disinfecting, a glass cleaner can be used on glass surfaces. The cleaner will not disinfect on its own, so use the alcohol solution first.
- Clean the Exterior. Only clean the exterior surfaces of your copiers and printers.
- Discard Gloves. When finished, throw gloves away and wash your hands with soap and water for 20 seconds.
Keeping up this cleaning regimen on a regular basis will help keep your employees safe and healthy. You can find further recommendations from OSHA1 and the CDC. Remember, RITE Technology is an essential business and we are here to answer any questions or to provide service if you need us, just reach out.